Tri-X @ 1600 w/ full strength Xtol…

The lovely Ellen Shaw of Shawtography, performing at an exhibition/auction hosted by the university PhotoSoc.

My Xtol has been mixed for over 6 months now so I used it full strength, thus the complete & utter lack of shadow detail with pushed Tri-X…

ellen_2

ellen_1

Covent Garden at Christmas [Re-scan]

I rescanned the Covent Garden photo I took back in 2011 & originally scanned with the CanoScan 9000F, this time using the Epson V600 & producing a much better result. Whether that’s because the Epson is actually better or I simply chose more appropriate options is open to debate though!

Epson

covent_garden_FINAL_FOR_WEB

Canon

IMG002-2

Mirrorshades project – video of camera test w/ wider lenses

Yesterday’s video was with 2.5mm lenses fitted to the PlayStation Eye cameras, today I got a pair of 2.1mm lenses to try. Definite improvement (after this video I tried fitting 2.5mm in the right camera & 2.1mm in the left camera & comparing by closing each eye in turn) but I’m tempted to try even wider lenses as these 2.1mm ones are still noticeably more ‘zoomed in’ than my naked vision & they don’t introduce nasty distortion as I feared they might.

2-1mm_rift_lenses

lens_comparison

Mirrorshades project – Oculus Rift, 2x PlayStation Eye cameras, Unity

Continuing my cross reality research, I’m working on an Oculus Rift project to allow you to switch/fade between your real surroundings & virtual surroundings. I’m using 2x PlayStation Eye webcams (cheap, 60fps, easy to fit with standard M12 lens mounts so you can use all sorts of different lenses – I’m using 2.5mm lenses atm) attached to the Rift via a 3D printed mount & with Unity on the software end using code from this chap (Japanese link) because Unity’s WebCamTexture doesn’t work with 2x identical cameras.

IMG_20131112_173613

The mount comprises the clip designed by the guys at USC Information Technology Services (& freely downloadable from their website) with a second piece I designed & glued onto the front with epoxy. I found an EAGLE board file for the webcams so was able to design this second piece with channels matching the PCB mounting holes, allowing the webcams to be moved horizontally to experiment with different interpupillary distances (or even to completely remove one camera & simply position the remaining one in the centre).

IMG_20131112_173813

One of the cameras has to be upside down because the width of the top of the PCBs (where the mic array is) means that they can’t be placed close enough together when they are both the same way up! The image from the upside-down camera is just rotated in software.

IMG_20131112_182603

IMG_20131112_160240

IMG_20131112_173718